Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Our Under $100 Closet System - IKEA Hack


Just before the baby was born last September I was in a panic to get a closet system in his room. (You can read all about that, here.) After that, the baby's closet was the nicest closet in the whole house and sometimes I would go in there, stand in the one room in the house that was organized, and bask in it's glory.

We bought our home as a foreclosure. That meant we had no appliances, no bathroom mirrors and absolutely, completely, empty closets. No rods for hanging, no shelves in the pantry, NADA! (I totally just said "Nada" in James Spader's voice from Pretty in Pink in my head)


That might not seem too overwhelming at first but there are 9 closets in this house and by the time we got done putting in all the appliances we normally take for granted and hanging mirrors so we could see to brush our teeth, the closets seemed really unimportant. Which is a shame because in the end they are so essential in the War on Clutter, especially in our oldest son's room. But we were tired so the only treatment our closets got was two of those triangle brackets that oh-so-handily hold a rod and a shelf at the same time. They are also efficient at taking up so much space that you can't put as many clothes on the rod as you should be to and you can only fit so many of them in a closet at a time. Then, you wind up with this...


Wow. That's actually really embarrassing. Now you know two things: 1) Someone besides the baby needs a closet system and 2) I need to wash clothes.

Here's the thing, the baby's closet system set us back $700. At the time my desperation, and possibly my hormones, clouded my judgement. But this time there was no way I was spending that much - especially since he has two closets.

I'd read some where on the web about someone using EasyClosets.com to design their closet and then using the plan/measurements to do it themselves. Bingo! (Actually, EasyClosets.com is a very affordable option and had we bought the baby's closet system from them we'd have probably saved some money!) But did we really have time for a DIY; to cut every piece of wood, pre-drill every hole and basically start from scratch? The answer is no for alot of reasons. Namely that I have way too many projects I want to do to spend an eternity on two closets and also because we'd probably never finish it. That's when I met Billy...

IKEA


Tall, white and Swedish. The man of my dreams...in terms of a semi-diy closet system. And he's cheap, too. We got four of these, two for each closet. Add some closet rods, some white shelving board and brackets, a small tweak to make Billy a little taller (see below) and you have a closet system for under 100 bucks per closet!


First we added a small mdf panel to the bottoms of each bookshelf to make the notch, already in the back of the bookshelf, fit over our molding.




Phew! Much better! Man, I love Billy!

Stay tuned for the Big Boy Room Makeover these closets go with. Coming Soon!

10 comments:

  1. come do that in my house? Please! only have two full closets...old old house, now if I live close to Ikea!

    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me take care of the 9 other closets first! LOL

    I have always wanted to live in an old house with wardrobes instead of closets. You'd have to be really creative with clutter control though I imagine. Especially with children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing and so much simpler than doing the closet another way! How did you put rods on the billy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and how did you do the drawers, too???

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheap materials can turn to be expensive looking.

    website

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks awesome, feeling inspired. The extra shelf between and the rods, were those easy and pretty straightforward, or do you know which items they are?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Find the best Orlando closet and home storage organizers and designers. Search portfolios, ratings, recommendations and reviews to find the top local closet closet organizing systems Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see the greatest contents on your blog and I extremely love reading them.click here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many teens will use this information because they need organizational tools. This report is also helpful.

    http://mooredesignstore.com/closet-systems-are-worth-buying/

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead....make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
I'm A Member of Art Dolls Only Gettin Creative Every Day Fan of kevinandamanda.com! Free Fonts. Recipes. Scrapbooking. Photography. Blog Design. Tutorials. Giveaway. Everything you're into! My Repurposed Life mmm button Roots And Wings Co U Create ec grab button BWS tips button BWS tips button frou-fruGal Ana White - making a home with handmade furniture and other DIY projects Craft DIY Ideas Show and Tell