Monday, August 8, 2011

Confessions of a Chronic DIYer

It's okay to ask for help.

It's okay to let someone else do it.

It's okay to buy it from someone instead of making it.

You can't do it all.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I try to take this advice. I really do. Sometimes. But, let's face it, most of the time I just completely ignore it. And the problem is I get rewarded often enough that it encourages me to keep doing it.


For example, I saw similar chocolate lollipops selling on Etsy for $25 per dozen. Twenty five dollars! That's like $2 each. Craziness. So I found some similar used molds on ebay and made my own. They were yummy, too. Success!

Then there's the printables...I've never done a printable. Ever. But I did figure out how to make banners with Photoshop a few years back when I saw what everyone who knew how to make them was going to charge me if I didn't. That all came flying back when I realized if I wanted a personalized Star Wars invite I was going to have to pay $14.00 for it....for a digital file. I just couldn't do it. Now I know the person on the other end of that $14 took the time to design it so I'm not saying it isn't worth it. But, still. I figured if I could make a banner, making a printable wouldn't be a big stretch. The guys at Office Max were quite helpful in this area, too.


And the drink labels....


The Food...



The boys' shirts...




And then there was the cake....

VIA


I wanted to make this cake. Now. I'm not crazy enough to think my cake would turn out this good. I mean, I'm not delusional. I know I'm not the Cake Boss. But I honestly believed I could make something that looked enough like R2D2 that my soon-to-be 8 year old would be impressed on his birthday.


I bought all this stuff. I fretted over the fondant because: a) I haven't worked with it enough, b) I had never put it on a cake this size before and c) that junk's expensive!


Things started out really well....

The one thing I didn't think through was the fact that I do not have one of those amazing machines that rolls out large sheets of fondant for you so I was forced to roll out a 30" diameter circle by hand. And it was when I picked up that giant fondant circle that I knew I was in trouble.

It weighed like a million pounds. I knew what would happen next and sure enough.....


Needless to say, I would've had to go with more of a Jaba the Hut look for this cake than R2D2 and we could spend the rest of the day talking about what I might've done wrong (namely, bit off more than I could chew) but, really, what good would that do?

I promptly threw this cake in the pond and signed myself up for the Fondant and Gum Paste class down at the Hobby Lobby.

The good news is, the party was a success even if the R2D2 cake wasn't. Star Wars Party post coming soon complete with recipes, free printables and lots of fun ideas for your little Jedi!

1 comment:

Go ahead....make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
I'm A Member of Art Dolls Only Gettin Creative Every Day Fan of kevinandamanda.com! Free Fonts. Recipes. Scrapbooking. Photography. Blog Design. Tutorials. Giveaway. Everything you're into! My Repurposed Life mmm button Roots And Wings Co U Create ec grab button BWS tips button BWS tips button frou-fruGal Ana White - making a home with handmade furniture and other DIY projects Craft DIY Ideas Show and Tell