There are a million recipes for making these cookies. I personally think the one I've used for the last several years is the yummiest but I'm sharing this one with you today because I think it's quite unique. I haven't seen them dipped in neon candy coating before, have you?
• 1 can (8 oz) almond paste
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp almond extract
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• Pinch salt
• 1 cup each green, orange and violet melting wafers (Wilton Candy Melts)
• 2 tsp vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Have baking sheets ready.
2. In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat almond paste and sugar until well blended. Add butter; beat until blended. Beat in egg, vanilla and almond extracts. With mixer on low speed, beat in flour and salt just until blended.
3. Divide dough into three equal pieces. On lightly floured work surface, roll each piece into a 24-in. long rope. Cut each rope into six 4-in.-long pieces. Place about 1 in. apart on baking sheets.
4.Bake 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove sheets to wire rack to cool 5 minutes, then remove cookies to rack to cool completely.
5. To decorate:Line baking sheet with wax paper. Melt candy melts according to package directions. Stir in oil and transfer to narrow glasses or cups. Hold cookie by one end and dip into candy melts. Let excess drip off then place on baking sheet and attach sliced almond for fingernail. Chill in refrigerator 5 to 10 minutes, until firm.
MORE TO COME AS.....